Free Online Storage

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Aliza's chronicles, part 3: collaboration and the long haul

Posted on 07:52 by Unknown
Posted by: Aliza Sherman, author, speaker, TV and radio producer

Last time I discussed how Google Docs helped me as I migrated documents from my old computer to my shiny new one. This time I'll talk about using Google Docs for long-term collaboration.

As I prepared the manuscripts for my upcoming podcast, I started sharing them with my producer on Basecamp. She obliged me and checked them out, but commented that the “writeboard” or whiteboard collaboration feature wasn’t up to snuff because it required its own markup language.

“Try Google Docs,” she said. (She had found Docs and was a convert.) She uploaded my first manuscript. I was frustrated because I was hoping to see her previous revisions once I made my changes to the script.

“Look at the Revision History,” she said.

Revision history? I didn’t know Docs had a revision history feature! I swear a choir of angels sang and trumpets trumpeted in my head with that discovery. I'm looking for a long and fruitful relationship with my podcast producer and am grateful she told me about a new feature in Docs.

As I'm sure you know, when you're collaborating, a revision history is really critical. And of course it makes sense that the feature for looking back at previous revisions would be in Docs. I am, of course, a feature-phobe, which means:
  • I'm terrified to try something that I don't need yet. I use just what I need when I use it.
  • Did I mention that I hate to read instructions of any kind?
  • But, each time I discover a useful new feature, it is like Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanzaa and all the other sparkly holidays in one.
Another example of how I'm using Google Docs for long-term collaboration: Every month I send press releases for a client's workshops. To properly format the releases, I refer to a list of workshop descriptions, a list of locations, and a list of media contacts. Now instead of searching for these documents on my computer, I can quickly access Google Docs and copy and paste the content that I need.

Occasionally one or more of those documents needs updating, something that's easy to do in Docs. Then the next time I access the files, I always know that the most recent copy is at my fingertips. The collaboration comes in handy when my client wants to update the document. I have a number of ways of getting the most recent version I have to her for her edits including giving her access to my documents in Docs, emailing her a PDF for her to print and markup (yes, people still do that), and downloading to my computer and attaching to an email to her.

I love these options and so do my clients and collaborators.

Extra Tip: Make sure to name your files clearly so you always know what they contain without even having to open it.

In my next post, I'll discuss quick collaborations in Google Docs.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Merge cells vertically in Google spreadsheets
    There are many times when you want to format your spreadsheets in a certain way to make your data easier to read and understand. Starting to...
  • Hosting a viewing party for the OSCARS®
    Last year, I planned an OSCARS® viewing party with my friends. To add some friendly competition and figure out who was coming, I collected p...
  • Collaboration worldwide
    Posted by: Ken Norton, Product Manager, Google Docs & Spreadsheets Whether you're sitting in the same room, across campus, or in dif...
  • Summarize your data with pivot tables
    Starting today, we're rolling out pivot tables in Google spreadsheets. Pivot tables make it easy to process and summarize large data set...
  • The Google Docs for students page
    We recently launched the Google Docs for students page which highlights how various student populations can use Google Docs in their daily ...
  • Announcing your two most requested features: offline document editing and Drive for iOS
    In April, we introduced Google Drive, a place where you can create, share, and keep all your stuff. Today at the Google I/O conference we a...
  • Happy holidays from the Picasa team
    A lot of people who Google Docs also use Picasa Web Albums, so we wanted to let you know about a special offer. We made extra storage for Gm...
  • Dragging and dropping
    Posted by: Ken Norton, Product Manager, Google Docs & Spreadsheets Have you ever come across a link to a document on the web and wished ...
  • Using Google Docs to facilitate patient flow in a community health center
    Guest post: David Margolius is a medical student at Brown University. He is spending the year in San Francisco as a research fellow and rece...
  • New Templates: Embedding spreadsheets in your website
    Did you know that you can publish a spreadsheet and embed it in your website or blog? An embedded spreadsheet is a perfect way to display a...

Categories

  • Acquisitions
  • Ads
  • Android
  • Annoyances
  • April Fools Day
  • attachments
  • back to school
  • Blogger
  • charts
  • chat
  • Chrome
  • Chrome extensions
  • chrome web apps
  • Cloud Connect
  • collaboration
  • comments
  • community
  • discussions
  • DMCA
  • docs
  • document list
  • documents
  • documents list
  • drawings
  • drivebacktoschool
  • Easter Egg
  • education
  • Faces of Docs
  • forms
  • gmail
  • gone google
  • Google Alerts
  • Google Analytics
  • Google Apps Blog
  • Google Apps Script
  • Google Calendar
  • Google Cast
  • Google Checkout
  • Google Chrome
  • Google Chrome OS
  • Google Cloud Connect
  • Google Contacts
  • Google Dictionary
  • Google Docs
  • Google Docs Viewer
  • google documents
  • google drive
  • Google Earth
  • Google Goggles
  • Google Hangouts
  • Google Instant
  • Google Keep
  • Google Latitude
  • Google Local
  • Google Maps
  • Google Music
  • Google News
  • Google Notebook
  • Google Now
  • Google Pack
  • Google Photos
  • Google Play
  • Google Plus
  • Google Reader
  • Google Sites
  • Google Suggest
  • Google Takeout
  • Google Talk
  • Google Toolbar
  • Google Translate
  • Google Trends
  • Google Voice
  • Google Wallet
  • Google+
  • googlenew
  • Greasemonkey
  • Guest Post
  • holiday
  • iGoogle
  • Image Search
  • images
  • InOut
  • iOS
  • Keep
  • Knowledge
  • mobile
  • OCR
  • offline
  • OneBox
  • paperless
  • pdfs
  • photo
  • photos
  • Picasa Web Albums
  • presentations
  • product ideas
  • profiles
  • quickoffice
  • Reddit
  • research
  • save to drive
  • scripts
  • Security
  • sharing
  • sheets
  • shortcut
  • slides
  • spell check
  • spreadsheets
  • stock photos
  • storage
  • students
  • tables
  • teachers
  • templates
  • Tips
  • User interface
  • videos
  • Viewer
  • Visualization
  • Voice Search
  • Web Search
  • Yahoo
  • YouTube

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (519)
    • ►  December (33)
    • ►  November (44)
    • ►  October (64)
    • ►  September (50)
    • ►  August (63)
    • ►  July (60)
    • ►  June (57)
    • ►  May (62)
    • ►  April (49)
    • ►  March (33)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ►  2012 (34)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (5)
    • ►  September (4)
    • ►  August (2)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (5)
  • ►  2011 (80)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (7)
    • ►  September (10)
    • ►  August (11)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (9)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (8)
    • ►  March (8)
    • ►  February (8)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2010 (118)
    • ►  December (11)
    • ►  November (16)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (13)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (15)
    • ►  May (11)
    • ►  April (7)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ►  2009 (82)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (10)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (6)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (8)
    • ►  February (7)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ▼  2008 (97)
    • ►  December (6)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (5)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ▼  May (20)
      • Pop quiz
      • A little presentation gives a lot of information
      • Aliza's chronicles, part 4: collaboration, quick a...
      • The Do's and Don't's for using Forms
      • Featured video: quick and easy forms
      • Aliza's chronicles, part 3: collaboration and the ...
      • Simply scientific
      • Docs on the iPhone with Chris Pirillo
      • Notes from the computer graveyard
      • Aliza's chronicles, part 2: surviving the computer...
      • Embed your forms
      • Making across the country feel like across the cla...
      • Functions, Formulas and how you can relieve the Fr...
      • Aliza's chronicles: climbing out of document hell
      • Google Docs in burning marshmallows
      • Thank you, teachers
      • Posted by: Meredith Whittaker, Program Manager and...
      • Good things come in multiples: multi-size embeddin...
      • Want your docs to be stylin'?
      • Google Docs goes wild
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (6)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2007 (25)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2006 (10)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (4)
    • ►  October (4)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile